5 December 2005

Angry complaint letters

Both Sainsbury's & Wooloworths have decided to ban the DVD release of Jerry Springer: the Opera from their shops, due to pressure from religious groups (most likely to be Christian Voice). In response, I've sent the following letter to them:

Dear Sir,

I have noted from various media reports that you have decided not to sell the DVD version of Jerry Springer: The Opera, due to pressure from a fringe-religous group.

As a result of your actions I regret to inform you that I will no longer be using my local branch of your shop (Burnley), nor any other branch that you have. I will only consider purchasing products from your shops if you reverse your ban with immediate effect.

Yours faithfully


What's worst is the complete lack of backbone shown them: Sainsbury's admit they only had 10 complaints!

If I get a reply, I'm expecting one like (if not the same as) the one both MediaWatchWatch and Chicken Yoghurt had:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Woolworths is not a censor and does not wish to act as one. Like any other retailer, it is guided by government legislation with regard to film certification.

However, we also listen to our customers and their feedback. On this occasion we have received numerous complaints and it is clear to us that our customers would prefer us not to stock this product.

As a result it has been removed from sale.

Regards

xxxxxxxx
Customer Support Advisor


The worst kind of censorship, is not official government censorship, but that done by people who try to stop other people being "offended". If it offends you so much, don't watch it!

PS. Before anyone says I'm only doing it becasue it's a Christian group, yes, I would say exactly the same thing if it was some other religous group.

UPDATE: I received the following reply from Woolies (no response so far from Sainsbury's)

Thank you for your e-mail.

Woolworths is not a censor and does not wish to act as one. Like any other retailer, it is guided by government legislation with regard to film certification.

However, we also listen to our customers and their feedback. On this occasion we have received numerous complaints and it is clear to us that our customers would prefer us not to stock this product.

As a result it has been removed from sale.

If you require any further assistance, with this query or any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us either by e-mail at customer.relations@woolworths.co.uk or by telephone on 01706 862789.

Regards

As predicted, it's the exact same letter, to which I replied:

Dear XXX

I do not appreciate emails which are just a cut-and-paste job. If you are going to reply to my questions, which you have not, at least have the deceny not to use a standard form reply, as I have seen the exact same response on two different internet sites.

[I gave links to the Chicken Yoghurt & MediaWatchWatch articles].

UPDATE: Their response to my response:

Thank you for contacting Woolworths Customer Support.

If your query is related to a Woolworths Home Delivery, we will pass your email directly to our
Home Shopping Team, who will respond directly to you.

If your enquiry is related to Woolworths Stores, our aim is to respond to you within 48 hours.

Woolworths Customer Support Team

Even less of a response this time - totally unrelated to what I said (& still a form reply).

UPDATE: This post is listed on the BBC's weekly blog round-up.

4 comments:

Mama JunkYard said...

LMAO - you have too much free time!

If I boycotted my local Sainsbury's I would starve - it is the only supermarket in our town.

D-Notice said...

I can only do it as in Burnley we've also got Asda, Tesco, Netto, Aldi & Iceland; so I'm spoilt for choice.

That & the fact I don't use Sainsbury's (or Woolies for that matter) anyway...

pleasedconsumer said...

Hi,

Thank you for your wonderful blog. I found your site as I was looking for complaint letter samples. I have also found an excellent source of consumer complaints and actual complaint letter to companies.

Regards,
Mike P.

Sharlotte said...

You are talking about Complaint Letters. That is quite an important issue. These letters are the weapon of the customers, since the telephone talk can not be witnessed; a letter is an evidence of your dissatisfaction. Many people though do not know how to write them correctly. Personally I learned how to write these letters from www.pissedconsumer.com. Here you can find out the tips which make complaint letters work.